Core Fiscal Principals:
- Making budget decisions acknowledging both the short and long-term impacts.
- Stabilizing revenues and expenditures, and eliminating unanticipated variances.
- Funding operations at a level to provide quality services at a reasonable cost.
- Maintaining structural balance and appropriate fund balance levels.
- Seeking to make a connection between resources and results.
- Considering additional investments when they help achieve City’s goals and provide a significant return to the community.
Budget Objectives and Outcomes include:
- Focus on basic City services and funding these activities at adequate levels.
- Demonstrate a commitment to existing infrastructure and proactive repair/replacement.
- Sufficient funding for Equipment Replacement, Building Maintenance, and Information Technology.
- Ensure City operated Public Safety programs meet the needs of our residents.
- Balance Residential market value growth with tax increases.
- Adhere to a balanced budget.
Residential Market Values Continue to increase
The median value residential property market value in North St. Paul increased by 3.1% for 2022 property taxes payable. For tax years payable 2014 to 2021, the median residential property’s value has increased by 68.4%, which represents the second most growth across Ramsey County during that time frame.
Assessment values for North St. Paul, just like all other communities in Ramsey County, are determined by the Ramsey County Assessor’s office. Ramsey County has operated a countywide system since the 1930s. In 1974 the Legislature passed a law officially conferring the county authority for assessing all taxable property in Ramsey County.
Budget Process: A typical budget preparation calendar includes the following target dates
- City Council conducts goal setting in spring
- City staff prepare budgets from May through July
- Budget workshops are held in August and September
- Preliminary Levy adopted by City Council in September
- Ramsey County sends proposed property taxes and meeting dates to discuss (formerly truth & taxation hearing) between November 11 and November 25
- City Council adopts final levy and budget in December
- A final tax levy is certified to the county by December 30