Home Security Tips
Here are some recommendations to enhance your home security
- Use bright lights. The brighter the better. Criminals do not like light. Having dark areas around your home is an invitation to criminal activity
- Invest in motion lights.
- Keep a few interior lights on when no one is home.
- Close shades at night.
- Do not leave a spare key to your house under a doormat or anywhere outside where it could be easily found.
- Keep doors locked even if you're only leaving for a few minutes.
- Check to be sure all locks are in the correct working order. Change any locks that are loose or not sturdy.
- Lock sliding doors
- Check windows for working locks
- Keep shrubs well maintained. Over grown landscaping can give concealment for potential burglars.
- Keep your garage door shut. Do not advertise to the neighborhood what you have in your garage.
- Lock garage utility doors. These doors tend to be forgotten by homeowners. Be sure it is a sturdy door with a sturdy working lock.
- Keep personal items, such as bikes, grills, or lawnmowers, in a locked garage or hidden from view with a tarp and secured in a stationary position.
- Do not keep firearms easily accessible. Keep all firearms locked in a safe with trigger locks.
- Stop all deliveries while on vacation. Have a trusted neighbor pick up your mail or newspapers.