Zoning Applications

Residents, businesses, and developers interested in the development of their property, or property improvements that may impact property lines and/or City Code must complete the necessary zoning permits from the City of North St. Paul.

Apply for a Zoning Permit

Applying for a zoning permit from the City of North St. Paul is easy and secure.

  • Create a user account on our Citizen Services Platform
  • Complete the appropriate license for your project.
  • Easily upload your site plans and other required information.
  • City staff will review your application and let you know if any other information is needed.
  • Several zoning permits require approval by the Planning Commission. City staff will keep you informed of meeting dates throughout your project.

Online Payment and Documents

  • Once approved, you will receive a link via email to pay for your permit fees online with a credit card (processing charges apply)
  • If you prefer, you can mail your payment to the City of North St. Paul at 2400 Margaret St. North St. Paul, MN 55109. Be sure to reference your permit  document number
  • Once your payment is processed, you will receive an email with access to your digital permit.
  • All of your applications, receipts, and license documents will be stored in your personal portal for easy access.

Planning & Zoning Applications Issued by the City of North St. Paul

Conditional Use

A conditional use permit is a permitted use that is allowed only when it is shown that the use meets certain guidelines and specific standards related to the proposed conditional use. Conditions may be applied to the issuance of the permit and/or periodic review may be required. The permit shall be granted for a particular use and not for a particular person or firm.

Interim Use Permit/Home Occupation Permit

A home occupation permit is for a business or enterprise conducted in a dwelling or accessory dwelling and incidental to the principal residential use whether conducted for profit or not for profit. The City regulates home occupations to ensure the character of our residentials is maintained.

Land Use Interim Use Permit

An interim land use permit may be granted for the temporary use of property if certain requirements are met. The permit may be issued with a particular date, until the occurrence of a particular event, or until zoning regulations no longer permit it. Conditions may be applied to the issuance of the permit and/or periodic review may be required. The permit shall be granted for a particular use and not for a particular person or firm.

Sidewalk Encroachment Permit

Subdivision Permit

A subdivision permit may be granted for a major or minor subdivision, or a community apartment project containing five or more parcels, or the conversion of a dwelling to a stock cooperative containing five or more dwelling units.

Planned Unit Development Permit

The purpose of a PUD is to improve the overall quality of a project through a more collaborative design and development process between the City and the Applicant. A PUD process will oftentimes be more involved than a project utilizing standard zoning regulations, but the intent is to achieve a higher-quality project. Depending on whether the project involves a subdivision, the Applicant will be required to follow the requirements as laid out in the Preliminary Platforms as a part of the application process.

Rezoning of Land Permit

Rezoning is the act of changing a property's use district, for example, commercial, residential, industrial, agricultural, and sub-districts within each, to a different district with regulations permitting the applicant's desired use.

Sign Permits

Signs in the City should be kept within reasonable boundaries consistent with the objectives and goals of the community to retain its special character and economic advantages. A zoning sign permit ensures the quality of the sign's appearance and its compliance with the City's current zoning ordinances.

Site Plan Review

The City Council declares it necessary and appropriate to require site plan approval of development in certain districts to preserve and promote attractive, well-planned, stable, urban conditions. This includes all proposed multiple-family dwellings (3 or more units), mobile homes, commercial and industrial developments, and all proposed developments in Wetland Districts. Site Plan approval by the City Council must be obtained before a Building Permit is issued.

Text Amendment Permit

A text amendment to the zoning ordinance involves changes in its text and wording, including, but not limited to, changes in the regulations regarding setbacks, heights, lot areas, definitions, administration, and/or procedures. Text amendments do not include the rezoning of the property.

Right-of-Way Vacation Permit

A right-of-way vacation permit is an application to relinquish dedication or easement such as in a street right-of-way, utility easement, alley, or other property.

Variance Permit

The City Council may allow a departure from the terms of the zoning regulations pertaining to height or width of structures of the size of the yard or open space where such departure will not be contrary to the public interest, and where the departure is due to circumstances unique to the property because of its size, shape, or topography not created by the property owner.

Zoning Letter

This document includes information on the current zoning status of the property and may include information on density, parking, setbacks, building, environmental and energy codes, ordinances, and regulations that are presently applicable to the project.