Radon is a naturally-occurring, radioactive gas. It is odorless, tasteless and invisible. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), radon is the nation’s second leading cause of lung cancer. The Minnesota Department of Health recommends every home be tested for radon.
Radon may enter a home anywhere there is an opening between the home and the soil. These openings include cracks in the foundation, floor drains and sumps. The levels of radon that can build up indoors vary according to the amount of radon in the source material and its rate of entry into the building.